valve amplifiers and high efficiency speakers
 
search

Kees Olaf: Capacitor mod 1

..remove plastic and metal... In succes of making our own coupling capacitors (report to be followed), we have succeeded in upgrading powersupply- and kathode electrolytics! After reading an article in L'Audiophile about the negative effects in using plastics as dielectric, we performed some tests on this. We started out with interlinks. We firstly used an "active" shield to preload the dielectric (9 volt batteries and 2M2 resistors) in order to try to deminimize the memory effect (aka MDI). The results of this were, after a few days, astonishing. More and cleaner highs, better bass and more stagedepth. We also heared that plastics tend to have a "smearing effect" on sound when used as dielectric. From then on we avoided those materials when making our own interlinks and wiring (teflon included!) We were determined in using solely natural materials, like, for instance, PHY-HP does.

..kathode decoupling in optima forma!.. We started out using different kinds of natural materials like paper, cotton, etc. all in different ways. One thing led to another and these experiences were used in making the first series coupling caps. These were much better than factory made caps!. One thing that remained were those electrolytics  as used in the powersupply and on kathodes... Our favourite in the powersupply is the BlackGate WKZ and Elna Cerafine on the kathode. On the kathode is BlackGate FK/VK also good, but the Elna gives more colour to the music..

In an effort to upgrade these caps, we tried the following:

...caps with removed plastic and C37 lacquered...

A "how to" report in steps with pics will follow soon. An advise in which wood to use will be included.

Oh yeah! Try this on your own risk!!!

Kees Pel & Olaf Biessen